Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Save Money, Save the Planet and Save your Health!

I have felt compelled to share this. It's been something I have been thinking about for far too long and I think it is time Now we all look at conscious ways to contribute to a carbon neutral society and helping to reduce our footprint. We are all in this together so lets make an impact together.

It has been many years since I have bought glad wrap/cling wrap, zip lock bags, garbage bags, paper bags, baking paper or tin foil. I have re used almost every piece of plastic bag, paper bags, foil, gift bags and wrapping I have ever been given. Not because I’m tight with money, because it is my way of contributing to a more sustainable planet. Save on land fill and the responsible care of plastics that will more than likely end up in our waterways and ocean which are extremely harmful to our marine life and wildlife friends.

My 5 reuse, re purpose, reduce land fill tips so you no need to purchase these items ever!

1. Save all your seal clip bags that you get when you buy frozen berries or your frozen vegetables in. Or if you buy bulk nuts and dried fruits from the bulk foods section of your supermarket, they normally have zip lock bags. When finished wash them in dish washing detergent, rinse and hang to dry. These can be re used for freezing excess fruits and vegetables, to keep your opened cheeses, half cut onions, avocado's etc. in.

2. Again with any other plastic bags you bring your fruit, veges or produce home in, wash and keep for covering prepared foods you want to store in fridge for a short time or taking to a party, function or picnic. Remember to limit as many plastics you bring home as possible by using paper bags or bring your own to reused ones with you. Leave some inside your shopping bags so you have when you shop. These bags will replace the toxic cling wrap or glad wrap we cover our food with. Can also use containers with lids for storing leftovers or prepared foods. For those who use a microwave often cover their food with cling wrap which is known to be toxic. If you are a microwave user than replace the plastic wrap with a ceramic plate or saucer. I personally am not a fan of micro waves at all as I believe they too can be bad for our health. If you need to reheat food it is so simple to do on a stove. You can live without one!

3. I usually take my own shopping bags with me though on the odd occasion when I have been caught out with an unexpected purchase or need the extra protection from dripping fresh seafood I’ve bought at the market. I use these as my bin liners. Always keep your shopping bags in the car or carry small fold up ones in your bag which I now do!

4. Do you sometimes buy take away food? Wash and save your containers and use again for storing left over food, opened cheeses, avocado or opened cans of fruit, tuna etc. or use as lunch boxes. Never store your opened canned goods in the can, this is a sure way to contamination and illness. Sometimes take away comes with tin foil or friends arrive with foil over there hot food. This can be washed and kept too. I personally do not use tin foil as there are other ways to cook without it!

5. Used paper bags can be used to replace baking paper when lining tins for cakes, pastries, biscuits. Your paper bags can also be used for draining your shallow or deep fried foods. All of which can be composted after use. If given gifts wrapped in nice paper, carefully remove and fold neatly to re-use. Often you are given brown paper bags with purchases or gift bags. Keep these too and re use!
I buy in bulk environmentally friendly toilet paper called 'who gives a crap' which is wrapped in all sorts of pretty re usable paper for gift wrapping. It has it's cause on the paper as well which creates awareness about its sustainability and also gives 50% profit back to build toilets in developing countries. Wouldn't you love to know you are contributing back every time you wipe your bum!



I say "Your imagination is your only limitation" when it comes to re thinking the way you do and use things everyday.
Be a conscious consumer and ask yourself each time you are making any purchase ask yourself these 3 things:

1. Is this a necessity?
2. Is this going to last me more than 10 years?
3. Can I re purpose, re furbish, re gift it in the future?

Have a beautiful sustainable Xmas with your family and friends and remember Less is More!

Namaste
Jo x

No comments: